Studies show that better sleep habits can actually benefit your weight loss efforts. You are less likely to crave that 3pm chocolate bar from the vending machine if you aren’t running on empty, and proper sleep balances your hormones. Leptin and cortisol, for example, play a huge role in regulating your hunger and eating habits. So, how can you get better sleep? Well here are a few tips to get you started!
- Avoid daytime napping: The more tired you are, the easier it will be to fall asleep at bedtime, and stay asleep.
- Exercise early: Try not to exercise right before bed; the adrenaline boost will keep you from falling asleep.
- Close your curtains: A darker bedroom makes for more restful sleep and enhances melatonin production.
- White noise: The rhythmic humming of an air filter, humidifier or other machine can help you sleep – and help you breathe better too!
- Keep it regular: Try to maintain regular sleeping and waking times. Studies show people who go to bed before 11PM sleep better, as well.
- Relax: A warm bath with a few drops of lavender can help you drift to sleep peacefully. Alternatively, you can spritz a few drops into the air.
- Herb boosters: There are many herbs known to help people sleep besides lavender. Lemon balm and valerian work well together, or you can try chamomile as well.